Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Your Votes are in.....

and you would have Tom Brady under Center if you needed a game winning drive with 2 minutes left to play in the fourth quarter.

Brady received 28% of the vote with John Elway, Joe Montana and Dan Marino each receiving 19% of the vote and Brett Favre receiving 14%.

Brady has led 28 4th Qtr comebacks in his day including 1 in a divisional round of playoffs and 2 drives that resulted in New England Super Bowl victories. You have to assume that Brady has several more years to play and will only increase these numbers of comeback victories and show more of a flair for heroics.

When considering who I would have chose, I initially thought John Elway before doing some research. After my research I was really up in the air between Elway, Brady and Joe Montana. In making a decision I had to decide if I wanted quantity or quality. John Elway holds the NFL record for 4th qtr comebacks with 47 (i'm too lazy to do the research of how many were under 2:00, but I assume a fair share). John Elway also was the mastermind behind "The Drive", which is the most memorable drive of all-time in a playoff game that catapulted the Broncos over the Browns (a big time quality win). Joe Montana didn't have the quantity that Brady or Elway did, but he had several playoff game comebacks including the possession that ended with a TD toss to John Taylor leading the Niners over the Bengals for the Super Bowl. He also orchestrated a drive that resulted in "The Catch" which will go down in NFL history. I spoke of Brady's credentials earlier.

I look at it like this:
Elway - Quantity + "The Drive"
Montana - Quality with two of the most well known highlights in history
Brady - Quality against all odds

with that said.......Sorry America, but i'm going against your decision and my choice to lead my team down the field would be............John Elway. I want the guy who did it the most and he is the NFL record holder. The numbers don't lie!! Brady would have gotten the nod had the Pats needed TD's and he led them on TD drives, but it was Adam Viniteri who deserves the credit for those Super Bowl victories by kicking 40+ yard fg's.

1 comment:

  1. Nice list my friend....just brought back many awesome memories of the past. Just because I am moving to Northern California does not mean that the Pac 10 will take the place of the mighty Big 12. I will only be 30 minutes from Stanford....so I might have to tackle the tree at a basketball game. -Chance

    ReplyDelete