Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mattradamus's 15-Year Football Team Cont'd

In the first part of this written thrillogy, I gave you my offensive and defensive lines. Last episode I blasted you with my RB's, TE and LB's. Today i'm going to select my high flying WR and lightning quick cornerbacks. I'll start on the offensive side of the ball with the WR choices.

Being that i'm selecting a conventional football team, i'm only allowed 2 wide recievers b/c I have already chosen a TE (Jeremy Shockey). So many players came to mind and it took some research to make my final decision. My finalist for the position included: Michael Crabtree, Calvin Johnson, Braylon Edwards, Larry Fitgerald, Keyshawn Johnson, Randy Moss and Peter Warrick. This was about as difficult as a decison to make as I had to make in the selection of this team.


If there was a no-brainer (by the slimmest of margins of course) it was Pittsburgh's Larry Fitzgerald. Larry holds the NCAA record for consecutive games with a TD (18) and was an All-American who won the Fred Biletnikoff (top WR) and Walter Camp (Player of the Year) award. If those stats weren't enough, I also enjoyed his 6'4 frame and the speed that came with it. I would say that Fitzgerald has the best hands I have seen in a college wide receiver. My second choice may be a bit of a surprise but when you are voted the school's all -time favorite player and you are a threat to score everytime you touch the ball, it is very hard for me to pass up. Some of his biggest games came under the bright lights of back to back National Championship games and he was also a huge threat in the Punt return game. Florida State's Peter Warrick will be opposite Fitzgerald for this football team. Warrick, nicknamed "the great one" by his college teammates was a 2-time consensus All-American and helped lead his '99 Seminoles to the distinction of becoming the first team to be #1 in the polls from the start of the season to the finish. I think that my QB (who will be chosen tomorrow) will be very excited to hear that he will be throwing the pigskin to these two studs.














The best way to neutralize a great wide receiver is with a great cornerback. If you have a good shutdown CB in college, you can basically cut off 1-side of the football field. When thinking about my corners, I actually thought in large part about my WR. Who would I want lined up across from them trying to shut them down man on man?


The first person I thought of was the only primarily defensive player to ever win the Heisman Trophy award, Charles Woodson, a 2x All-American at the University of Michigan. Look at this resume:

Heisman Trophy (1997)
Chuck Bednarik Award (1997)
Jim Thorpe Award (1997)
Bronko Nagurski Trophy (1997)
Walter Camp Award (1997)
Jack Tatum Trophy (1997)
Sporting News Player of the Year (1997)


Woodson had the size and speed to lineup against every WR in college, but I specifically had him being the guy I would want to stick on an island vs Larry Fitzgerald. So that leaves me with who I would want to cover a guy like Peter Warrick. My answer is Georgia All American Champ Bailey. On top of being an All-American Champ also won the Nagurski Trophy as the nations best defensive player. He was that reliable source to shut down half of the field by taking out the opposing teams best WR.











Woodson and Bailey were the clear cut favorites in my opinion with all others coming in a distant 3rd and beyond.


Tomorrow you will learn who I want as my QB and as my defensive QB's, the safeties. Will your favorite team finally get that representative? Check it out tomorrow and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment