Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mattradamus's 15-Year NCAA Football Team

I wanted to speak on what I know and that is why I didn't date this to ALL TIME. I have been watching college football for roughly 15 years (religiously) so I feel that I have some good insight and definate opinions on the matter. Through the years we have seen several different types of offenses and defenses produce dynamic players at all positions. Tommy Frazier/Eric Crouch led an option monster back in the 1990's for the CornhusAdd Imagekers, Graham Harrell a Spread Passing attack that made the greatest of defenses look silly in his three years at the helm of the Red Raiders and Vince Young led a Spread Option attack that won a National Title for UT over USC in what I feel is one of the greatest college football games of all time. My point being that when you consider who you want to use at each position you have to take into account several different factors. Of course a Spread Passing attack is going to put up huge passing numbers and an I-Formation RB is going to get more carries but that doesn't mean they are the guy i'm picking to go in my backfield. Below is my College Football 15-Year Team along with others that were considered. Enjoy!

I'll start with the big uglies, the offensive lineman. I'm going to assume that the following guys all have the talent to play either RT, RG, LG or LT. My finalist were Tony Boselli, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Chris Samuels, Leonard Davis, Mike Williams Robert Gallery, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Joe Thomas and Jake Long.
When looking at lineman I wanted guys that were in more of a Pro-Style offense b/c I appreciated a guy who could run and pass block and was more well rounded than being labeled strictly a great run blocker and an average pass blocker or vice versa. The no-brainer of this team was a 4-year starter, the only 2-time winner of the Lombardi award and didn't give up a sack in his Junior or Senior seasons. Often regarded as one of the best college players of all time, Ohio St lineman, Orlando Pace is the first to join the roster. Playing in a big conference and being a 3x All-American didn't hurt my next linemans chances. He eventually became the top pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars in their inaugural season, USC lineman Tony Boselli gets the second spot on my team. The last two pieces of the lineman puzzle are both more recent players. Once again playing in a power conference and playing in Pro-Style offenses along with the accolades is what got Wisconson's Joe Thomas and Michigan's Jake Long starting spots on the roster. While I truely hate watching Big 10 football, they manage to turn out some great lineman. Jake Long was a 3x All-American and Joe Thomas was a 2-time All American that both pathed the paths for a fierce running game, but also kept their QB's off their backs. When choosing my center, I wanted to choose a guy who was tough, smart and once again played in a conference against some of the nations best. Once again, I was led to the Big 10, and Michigan's Rod Payne gets my vote. A three year starter at Michigan earned All American honors in 1996 and actually played an entire season with a broken wrist. He played one armed and actually snapped the ball with his left hand b/c his right hand simply did not work. A tough cookie no doubt.

LT: Tony Boselli, LG: Orlando Pace; C: Rod Payne; RG: Joe Thomas; Jake Long






Games are won in the trenches, so i'm going to follow up my o-line choices with the defensive line selections. I believe that your defensive tackles need to be guys to disrupt the running game and your defensive ends needs to be speed rushers and guys that will always be on the mind of the QB when the play comes in and he knows he is taking that 5-step drop. I'll start on the outsides. Like I mentioned earlier, I want guys with speed. My first selection is the all time leader in sacks at the collegiate level, representing the desert and Arizona St. University, Terrell Suggs is a welcomed addition to the team. 44 career sacks and 67 tackles for loss says all I need to know to know he can get after the QB on my team. His sidekick on the other side of the line will be Illinois' Simeon Rice. A 2-time All American selection, much like Suggs rushed from a three-point stance as well as standing. He dominated the Big 10 and holds the Illini season record for 16 sacks in a season. Knowing I will have constant pressure on the QB from the outside, I wanted to choose two guys who could blow up the center and take on double teams in the middle. My first choice is LSU's Glenn Dorsey. Dorsey has as good of a resume as a defensive player could have including 2x All-American, winner of the Lombardi Trophy and Outland Awards and was the SEC Defensive player of the year. Did I mention he led a defense that helped LSU win a National Title? Beside Dorsey is almost an identical clone. Despite the failed drug tests while in college, i'm going to roll the dice with "Da U's", Warren Sapp. The All-American Lombardi winner was the defensive player of the year and was one of the most imposing forces in NCAA history.

DE: Terrell Suggs; DT: Glenn Dorsey; DT: Warren Sapp; DE: Simeon Rice






Finalist included Darrell Russell, Courtney Brown, Gerald Warren, Julius Peppers, Mario Williams, Tommie Harris, Dwayne Robertson, Gaines Adams and Chris Long.
Stay tuned for Linebackers, Running Backs and Tight End selections that will post Thursday evening, May 14th! Will your college favorites make the cut? Check out the blog and find out more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment